I was quite surprised when many of my friends didn’t know what a torrent site/download was. So this post is for all the nOObs out there who don’t know what a torrent is.
BitTorrent is a protocol supporting the practice of peer-to-peer file sharing that is used to distribute large amounts of data over the Internet. BitTorrent is one of the most common protocols for transferring large files.
So how does it really work :
Some terms used in the above video:
Torrent: torrent file is a computer file that contains metadata about files and folders to be distributed, and usually also a list of the network locations of trackers.
Peers: A peer is one instance of a BitTorrent client running on a computer on the Internet to which other clients connect and transfer data.
Seed: A seed refers to a machine possessing some part of the data. The more the seeds the better.
Leech: Leecher is synonymous with downloader. The more the leeches the slower your downloads get.
Tracker : List of computer that help participants in the system find each other and form efficient distribution groups called swarms
Torrent Client: BitTorrent Client monitors which pieces it needs, and which pieces it has and can upload to other peers.
How to get started ?
Make your own torrents
- Open up your BitTorrent client of choice. uTorrent, Vuze,Transmission — whichever, they all work in the same way
- File > Create Torrent (or simply hit the ‘Create’ button, if there is one)
- Select a source file or directory — this can be absolutely anything
- Now you need to find some trackers. If you’re making a torrent for a private torrent index, make sure you use its tracker. Otherwise, paste all of the following into the box:
- If you want to add a comment, go for it! Include your name, website, email address — whatever you like
- Make sure Private Torrent is unchecked, unless you’re creating a torrent for a private tracker
- Click Create — then add the new torrent to your client and start seeding!
For example you want to download the file : WIndows 8.1 iso
First we do a google search on the torrent with the keywords: Windows 8.1 iso torrent and click on first link whoch says torrentz.eu
The sites given above are sites which are safe to download from.
1. Compare the number of seeders with other torrent site. See the number of leechers also as both depend on elevating/decreasing your download speed respectively.
2. The download torrent button will download a .torrent file which has been described above.
3. The magnet button will just launch the torrent application installed on your machine and download the torrent file automatically.
Once all this is done you will have the options to choose whoch files you want to download and which you dont. Just uncheck the files you dont want to download.
And thats it 🙂
Post your queries and comments below